If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Search this site:
Index of Memories.
Index of Photographs
Prisoner of War
Secret Places of WW2
Ships of WWII
Women at War
World War One
How to add Memories
Add Your Memories
Can you Answer?
View the Guestbook
Sign the Guestbook
Printable Memories Form
School`s Study Center
Your Family History
World War 2 Two II WW2 WWII
RAF Leconfield was situated between Beverley and Great Driffield in Yorkshire. The first occupants were 166 Squadron who arrived in January 1937. The station was under 3 group until June 1938 then transferred to 4 Group. In September 1939 Leconfield was taken over by Fighter Command's No. 13 Group, to provide defensive cover for the Humber area.
In 1941 the site was closed to flying whilst teh runways were redeveloped, the accompdation becoming a school for No. 15 (Pilot) Advanced Flying Unit. The site was also used to accompdate personnel assembling to become the new Canadian No. 6 Group. Leconfield was handed back to Bomber Command at the end of 1941, after concrete runways had been laid.
Today the airfield is used as an army base with the RAF maintaing a small presence in the form of an airsea rescue unit.
Squadrons based at Leconfield during the Second World War:
The Wartime Memories Project would like to hear from anyone who was stationed at Leconfield during the war years, or anyone who lived nearby. We would love to hear your recollections of life on the base and the surrounding area.
Please contact us:
PhotographsIf you have any Photographs you would like to share please get in touch.
List of those who served here.
- F/O Hugh A Y Barkley. Pilot 640 sqd RAF (d. 15 Feb 1944) Read his story
- Henri Marie de Bij. dutch 640 B Sqd (d. 14/02/1945 )
- Sgt Derek M A Brown. Mid Upper Gunner 640 sqd RAFVR (d. 15 Feb 1944) Read his story
- Sgt Alfred Elkington. Flight Eng 640 sqd RAFVR (d. 15 Feb 1944) Read his story
- Cornelis Jacobus Maria Goemans dutch 640 B Sqd (d. 04/11/1944 )
- P/O Charles R K Fry. 610 sqd RAF.(d. 4 Oct 1941)
- P/O Paul Marie Constant Hellegers dutch 640 B Sqd (d. 11/08/1944 )
- Warrant Officer Fred Humphrey. 640 Halifax Squadron. Read his story
- Sgt William N Jackson. Nav.640 sqd RAFVR (d. 15 Feb 1944) Read his story
- Sgt Thomas Graham Leitch. Rear Gunner 640 sqd RAFVR (d. 15 Feb 1944) Read his story
- F/Sgt James H Smart. W Opp. 640 sqd RAFVR (d. 15 Feb 1944) Read his story
- F/O Alexander Lindsay Sommerville. Bomb Aimer. 640 sqd RCAF (d. 15 Feb 1944) Read his story
If you have any names to add to this list, or any recollections or photos of those listed, please get in touch.
If you have a story which you would like to share, or a website dedicated to an airfield or aircrew, please get in touch.
Send an E-mail to The Wartime Memories Project
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation.
This website is run out of our own pockets and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Or if you would like to send a cheque please email us for the postal address..
Website and ALL Material © Copyright MM
- All Rights Reserved