If you enjoy this site
please consider making a donation.
Search this site:
Index of Memories.
Index of Photographs
Prisoner of War
Secret Places of WW2
Ships of WWII
Women at War
World War One
How to add Memories
Add Your Memories
Can you Answer?
View the Guestbook
Sign the Guestbook
Printable Memories Form
School`s Study Center
Your Family History
World War 2 Two II WW2 WWII
RAF Acklington in Northumberland. The site was first used as an airfield during the Great War. The base reopened on the 1st April 1938 as No7 Armament Training School, becoming 2 Air Observers School on 15th Nov 1938. At teh out break of war the school moved to Warmwell and the airfield was transferred to fighter command.
station code was Bluebell
The first aicraft to be shot down by fighters from Acklington was a Dornier 18 (flying boat) on 15th Oct 1939 by 607 Sqn (County of Durham) with their Gladiators. the first enemy aircraft to crash on English soil during World War Two fell victim to fighters from Acklington on 3rd Feb 1940 when three Hurricanes of ‘B’ flight 43 Sqn shot down a Heinkel 111 near Whitby. The pilots were Flt/Lt Peter Townsend, Fly/Off ‘Tiger’ Folkes and Sgt/Plt Jim Hallowes.
On the 15th Aug 1940 a large force of Heinkel 111’s, escorted by Bf110’s, attempted to bomb the northeast in daylight, German intelligence assumed that the North was unguarded as teh RAF had massed in the South. However this was untrue as they were to discover at thier cost. 72 Sqn and 79 Sqn, were ‘resting’ at Acklington. The Luftwaffe lost fifteen aircraft that day , only inflicting damage on one Spitfire. This raid was one of the Battle of Britains most significant encounters, the German bombers never again attempted to fly daylight raids without full fighter escort.
The airfield remained in RAF hands until 1972, today it is the site of a prison.
Squadrons stationed at RAF Acklington
- No. 43 Squadron 18 Nov 1939 to 26 Feb 1940 & 4 Oct 1941 to 16 Jun 1942
- No 72 Squadron from 6 June 1940
- No. 74 Squadron.
- No 79 Squadron from 13 July 1940
- No 32 Squadron from 28 August 1940
- No. 111 Squadron
- No. 152 Squadron 1st October 1939 to 12th July 1940
- No. 219 Squadron 23 June 1942 to 21 Oct 1942
- No: 309 (Polish) Squadron
- No: 406 (Lynx) Squadron RCAF. formed at RAF Acklington 5th May 1941 to 1st Feb 1942
- No: 410 Squadron. 6th Aug 1941 to 15th June 1941 and 20th Oct 1942 to 21st Feb 1943
- No: 409 Squadron. 23rd Feb 1943 to 19th Dec 1943 and 5th Feb 1944 to 1st March 1944
- No. 607 Squadron 10 Oct to 14 Nov 1939
- 610 Squadron 31 Aug 1940 to 15 Dec 1940
The Wartime Memories Project would like to hear from anyone who was stationed at Acklington during the war years, or anyone who lived nearby. We would love to hear your recollections of life on the base and the surrounding area.
Please contact us:
PhotographsIf you have any Photographs you would like to share please get in touch.
List of those who served.
- Wing Commander J.S.L. Adams
- Plt./ Off. Harold John Akroyd. 152 Sqd. (d. 8th Oct. 1940)
- Plt./ Off. Eric Stanley Aldous. 610 Sqd. (d. 16th Oct. 1941)
- Plt./ Off. Frederick Joseph Aldridge. 610 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Sydney Ernest Andrews (d. 9th Aug, 1942)
- Sgt./Plt. Stanley John Arnfield. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt Donald James Aslin
- Sgt/Plt. Dennis Kenneth Ashton (d. 26th Nov, 1940)
- Plt./ Off. Charles Harvey Bacon. 610 Sqd. (d. 30th Sept.1940)
- Sgt./Plt. Aubrey Cyril Baker. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt./Plt. Cyril Stanley "Bam" Bamberger. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. William Henry Banks
- Sgt/Plt. John Keith Barker 152 Sqd. (d. 4th Sept. 1940)
- Wing Commander B. Barthold
- Plt. Officer Anthony Richard Henry Barton (d. 4th April, 1943)
- William Bates. 288 & 291 Sqd. Read his story
- Plt./Off. Ian Norman Bayles 152 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Howard John Bell-Walker. 72 Sqd.
- Sgt./Plt. Robert Arthur Beardsly. 610 Sqd.
- Wing Commander R. Berry DSO. DFC.
- Flt./Lt. Dereck Pierre Aumale Boitel-Gill 152 Sqd. (d. 18th Sept. 1941)
- Wing Commander V.S. Bowling
- Flt./ Lt. Peter Malam Brothers
- Plt./ Off. Bernard Walter Brown (New Zealand) 610 Sqd.
- Flt/Sgt. Frederick Sydney Brown 79 Sqd.
- Plt./Off. John Sinclair Bucknall. 152 Sqd. (d. 11th Aug. 1940)
- Fly/Off. Loefric Trevor Bryant-Fenn. 79 Sqd.
- Sqn/Ldr Frank Carey. 43 Sqd.Read his story
- Sgt./Plt. Leslie Raymond Carter. 610 Sqd. (d. 11th Oct. 1940)
- Wing Commander B.B. Caswell
- Squadron Leader S.H. Caunt
- Sgt./Plt. Henry Reginald Clarke. 610 Sqd.
- Flt/Lt. Rupert Francis Henry Clerke. 79 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Douglas Gerald Clift. 79 Sqd.
- George Cogle
- Sgt/Ldr. Anthony Roland Collins. 72 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer William Charles Connell ( Canadian )
- Sgt/Plt. James Enerton Cooper. 610 Sqd. (d. 9th Sept.1941)
- Sgt/Plt. Roy Norman Cooper. 610 Sqd. (d. 28th Oct.1945)
- Sgt/Plt. William James Corbin. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Douglas Frederick Corfe. 610 Sqd. (d. 25th April 1942)
- Plt./Off. Ivor Henry Cosby. 610 Sqd.
- Sqn./Ldr. Graham James Cox. 152 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Edward William Cranwell. 610 Sqd.
- Sqn / Ldr. Michael Nicholson "Red Knight" Crossley
- Plt. Officer Stanislaw Czternastek ( Polish ) (d. 5th Feb, 1941)
- Plt. Officer Brian Davey
- Plt./Off. Alfred Eric Davies. 610 Sqd. (d. 30th Oct. 1940)
- Fly/Off. Paul John Davies-Cooke. 610 Sqd. (d. 27th Sept. 1940)
- Fly/Off. Edward Christopher Deansly. 152 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Herbert David Denchfield. 610 Sqd.
- Sqn Ldr. Peter Kenneth Devitt. C.O. 152 Sqd.
- Plt./Off. William Anderson Douglas. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt Basil ‘Dizzy’ Dowthwaite 72 Sqd.
- Plt./Off. Gilbert Graham Fairley Draper. 610 Sqd.
- Plt./Off. Nigel George Drever. 610 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Robert Deacon Elliott 72 Sqd.
- Fly/Off. John Ellis. 610 Sqd.
- F/O Thomas Arthur Francis "Jimmy" Elsdon 72 Sqd.
- Harry English. Head Batman.
- Fly Officer Jan Paivel Falkowski ( Polish )
- Plt./Off. Charles Raymond Fenwick. 610 Sqd.
- Wing Commander D.O. Finlay
- Plt. Officer John "Polly" Flinders.
- F/O ‘Tiger’ Folkes. pilot. 43 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Robert Carl Fumerton. ( Canadian )
- Plt. Officer Peter Melvill Gardner D.F.C.
- Fly/Off. Frederick Thomas Gardiner. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Alan Walter Gear.
- Flt/Lt E. ‘Ted’ Graham
- Wing Commander E. Graham
- Sgt/Plt. Griffiths.
- Plt. Officer Rudolphe Ghislain Charles De Hemricourt De Grunne. ( Belgian ) (d. 25th May, 1941)
- Graeme Gillard. 72 Sqd. Read his story
- Sgt/Plt. John Stanley Gilders 72 Sqd. (d. 21st Feb. 1941)
- Sgt/Plt. Norman "Stickey" Glew 72 Sqd. (d. 17th May 1944)
- Flt./ Lt. Edward "Ted" Graham 72 Sqd.
- Sqn/Ldr Gould
- Plt. Officer Malcolm Grey 72 Sqd. (d. 15th Sept.1940)
- Ed Griffiths. Civilian cook. Read his story
- Fly/Off. Ian Lewis McGregor Hallam. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt Jim Hallowes. pilot. 43 Sqd.
- F/O Jacob Willem "Jaap" van Hamel.BK. dutch 322 F Sqd (d. 11/04/1944 )
- Sgt/Plt. Ronald Fairfax Hamlin. D.F.M. 610 Sqd.
- Flt Sgt Harrap. 72 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Frank George Horner. 610 Sqd.
- Fly/Off. Geoffrey David Leybourne Haysom (South African)79 Sqd.
- Sqn/Ldr. John Harvey Heyworth. 79 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Bernard Henson (d. 17th Nov 1940)
- Plt. Officer Norman Bagshaw Heywood (d. 22nd Oct 1940)
- Sgt/Plt. David Thornhill Hick
- Sgt/Plt. William Burley Higgins (d. 14th Sept. 1940)
- Flt./ Off. Edward Sydney Hogg 152 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Richard Malzard Hogg 152 Sqd. (d. 25th Aug.1940)
- Sgt./Plt. Kenneth Christopher Holland 152 Sqd. (d. 20th Sept. 1940)
- Plt. Officer Denis Frederick Holland. 72 Sqd. (d. 20th Sept. 1940)
- Plt. Officer Frederick Henry Homes. 152 Sqd. (d. 4th Dec. 1944)
- Sgt/Plt. Henry Nuttall Hoyle
- Flt/Sgt Hughes
- Flt/Lt Caesar Hull. 43 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Peter Cecil Humphreys
- Plt. Officer Richard Ralph Hutley (d. 29th Oct. 1940)
- Plt./Off. Richard Frederick Innes. 152 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. S. Ireland. 610 Sqd. (d. 12th Dec. 1940)
- Plt. Officer Zbigniew Janicki. ( Polish ) (d. 13th June 1944)
- Sgt. R.H. Johnson Read his story
- Sergeant Jones
- Plt./Off. Geoffrey Keighley. 610 Sqd.
- LAC Tom "Ace" King. Read his story
- Fly/Off. Mark Tyzack Kirkwood. 610 Sqd. (d. 8th Nov. 1940)
- Sgt/Plt. Karel Korber. (Czech) 32 Sqd. Read his story (d. 3rd May 1943)
- Flt. Officer Bronislaw Kazimierz Kosinski. ( Polish ) (d. 26th Jan.1942)
- Fly/Off. Peter Gilbert Lamb. 610 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Leslie Ninian Landels. (d. 20th Jan.1942)
- Plt./Off. John Gage Lecky. 610 Sqd. (d. 11th Oct. 1940)
- Sgt/Ldr. Ronald Beresford Lees C.O. 72 Sqd.
- Plt./Off. Herbert Keith Leycock. 79 Sqd. (d. 26th Aug. 1943)
- Wing Commander C.G. Lott DSO. DFC.
- N.G. McLean Read his story
- Plt. Officer Ernest Males. 72 Sqd. (d. 27th Sept. 1940)
- Plt./Off. Eric Simcox "Boy" Marrs. 152 Sqd.
- Plt./Off. Claude Merrick 610 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Ambrose Henry Milnes
- Plt./Off. William Henry Millington (Australian) 79 Sqd. (d. 30th Oct. 1940)
- Squadron Leader E.T. Mitchell
- Fly/ Officer Edward James "Teddy" Morris 79 Sqd.
- Wing Commander O.G. Morris
- Sgt./Plt. James Murray. 610 Sqd. (d. 3rd April 1943)
- Sgt Nelson 72 Sqd.
- Flt/Lt J.Nelson
- Sqn./Ldr. George Hassall Nelson-Edwards 79 Sqd.
- James Brindley Nicolson V.C.
- Plt./Off. Brian Robert Noble 79 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Norman Robert Norfolk. 72 Sqd.
- Fly/Off. Stanley Charles Norris D.F.C. 610 Sqd.
- Plt/Off North. 43 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt Otterwell. 43 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer John Francis Pain. (Australian)
- Wing Commander J.T. Paine
- Sgt./Plt. Verno Douglas Page. 610 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Thomas Cambell Parker 79 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Leslie Alfred Parr 79 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Reginald James Parrott. (d. 5th Jan.1941)
- Sgt./Plt. Alex Douglas Payne. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt./Plt. Leonard Hilary Borlase Pearce 152 Sqd. (d. 9th April )
- Fly/Off. George Charles Boyce Peters. 79 Sqd. (d. 29th Sept. 1940)
- Wing Commander G.W. Petre DFC. AFC.
- Plt./Off. Constantine Oliver Joseph Pegge. 610 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Jan Piotr Pfeiffer. (Polish)
- Fly/Off. Oswald St John Pigg. 72 Sqd. (d. 1st Sept. 1940)
- Sgt/Plt. Ronald Eric Plant. 72 Sqd. (d. 21st Nov. 1940)
- Plt. Officer Karol Pniak (Polish)
- Sgt/Plt Maurice Pocock Read his story
- Plt./Off. Frederick Hyam Posener. 152 Sqd. (d. 27th July 1940)
- Harold Powell Read his story
- Wing Commander H.J. Pringle AFC.
- Flt/Lt Prior.
- Plt. Officer John Ernest Proctor
- Sgt./Plt. Woodrow Raine. 610 Sqd. (d. 21st Aug.1941)
- Sgt./Plt. Norman Hugh Donald Ramsey. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt Rayment 72 Sqd.
- Fly/Off. Brian Victor Rees. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt./Plt. Roland Wharrier Richardson. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt Marmaduke "Dukey" Ridley Read his story
- Plt./Off Norman Charles Harold Robson 72 Sqd.
- Flt Lt. William Thomas Edward Rolls. DFC, DFM, AE. Read his story
- Plt. Officer Jack Rose
- Plt./Off. Alexander Richard Ross. 610 Sqd. (d. 15th April 1941)
- Plt. Officer John Hedley Rothwell. (d. 22nd Feb.1941)
- Flt./ Lt. Humphrey A Beckett "Humph" Russell.
- Sgt/Plt. Wilhelm Sasak (d. 30th Nov.1940)
- Sgt/Plt. Antoni Seredyn
- Sgt/Plt. Harold Frederick William Shead
- F/O Desmond Frederick Burt Sheen DFC & Bar. 72 Sqd.Read his story
- Plt./Off. Douglas Clayton Shepley. 152 Sqd. (d. 12th Aug. 1940)
- Sgt./Plt. Edmund Eric Shepperd 152 Sqd. (d. 18th Oct. 1940)
- Sqn Ldr. F.W.C. Shute. C.O. 152 Sqd.
- Sgt./Plt. William Gerald Silver. 152 Sqd. (d. 25th Sept. 1940)
- Fly/Off. Forgave Marshall Smith (Canadian) 72 Sqd.
- Sgt./Plt. Peter Ward Smith. 610 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt. Robert Charles John Staples 72 Sqd.
- Flt/Sgt. Jack Steere 72 Sqd.
- CJ 'Steve' Stevens. radar mechanic. 25 Sqd. Read his story
- Sqn./Ldr. Donald William Alfred "Dimsie" Stones. 79 Sqd.
- Sgt./Plt. William Alfred Sutcliffe. 610 Sqd. (d. 17th Dec.1940)
- Plt. Officer David John Thaker
- Tom Thackery. 72 Sqd. Read his story
- Flt./Lt. Frederick Mitton Thomas. 152 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Peter Douglas Thompson.
- Fly/Off. Ronald Alexander Thompson. (New Zealand) 72 Sqd.
- Flt/Lt Peter Townsend. pilot. 43 Sqd. Read his story
- Plt./Off Owen Vincent Tracey. 79 Sqd.(d. 8th Dec. 1941)
- Flt/Lt. John Wolferstan "Pancho" Villa. 72 Sqd.
- Fly/Off. Robert James Walker. 72 Sqd. (d. 14th June 1941)
- Plt. Officer John Lewis Ward (d. 20th March 1942)
- Sgt./Plt. Noel Proctor Warden. 610 Sqd. (d. 1st Oct.1941)
- Plt. Officer Charles Warren
- Sqn/Ldr ‘Du Vivier’ Wason. C.O. 350 (Belgian) Squadron
- Plt./Off. Arthur Roy Watson. 152 Sqd. (d. 28th Nov. 1940)
- Sgt/Plt. Alfred "Bull" Whitby. 79 Sqd.
- Sgt/Plt John Sidney "Snowy" White
- Sgt/Plt. John "Chalky" White. 72 Sqd.
- Plt. Officer Whitehouse
- Plt./Off. Timothy Seddon Wildblood. 152 Sqd. (d. 25th Aug. 1940)
- Fly/Off. Edgar John Wilcox 72 Sqd.
- Plt./Off. William Dudley Williams. 152 Sqd.
- Squadron Leader J. Willis
- Fly/Off. Douglas Strachan Wilson. 610 Sqd.
- Flt./Lt. Latham Carr Withall. 152 Sqd.(d. 12th Aug. 1940)
- Plt./Off. Douglas Cyril Winter 72 Sqd. (d. 5th Sept. 1940)
- Plt. Officer Boleslaw Andrzej "Slogger" Wlasnowolski (Polish) (d. 1st Nov1940)
- Sgt./Plt. Ralph Wolton. 152 Sqd.
- Sgt./Plt. John Wright 79 Sqd.
- Sgt./Plt. Ronald Lewis York. 610 Sqd. (d. 1st Oct.1941)
If you have any names to add to this list, or any recollections or photos of those listed, please get in touch.
If you have a story which you would like to share, or a website dedicated to an airfield or aircrew, please get in touch.
Send an E-mail to The Wartime Memories Project
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation.
This website is run out of our own pockets and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Or if you would like to send a cheque please email us for the postal address..
Website and ALL Material © Copyright MMII
- All Rights Reserved